To register for our language courses, proof of prior knowledge is required for certain languages. This proof can be provided in different ways.
When registering for the language courses in German, English, French, Italian and Spanish, it is a general rule that the students provide proof of previous language proficiency. However, there are exceptions, namely for introduction courses, A1 and A1.1, as well as certain discipline-specific courses. Further details can be found in the course descriptions on the course platform.
Providing proof of previous language proficiency is also necessary when registering for the courses in other modern foreign languages. The placement will be carried out by individual instructors of the respective courses. If you are uncertain about which level courses you should take part in, please send us an e-mail or contact the corresponding instructor directly.
- Certificates cannot be older than two semesters. Example: You can enroll with certificates from the summer semester 2023 and from the winter semester 2022/23 for the courses of the winter semester 2023/24.
- During the enrollment procedure, certificates are usually verified automatically by the system. If you cannot register for a course (red coloring instead of green coloring in the column "Zugelassen"), then you are not qualified for this course. Please check if you have completed the preceding course (it should then be listed in your student account) and contact the secretary's office if necessary.
- Certificates cannot be older than a year; effective date is the first day of a semester (1 April / 1 October). Example: You can enroll for courses in the WiSe 2023/24 with a certificate from 4 October 2022, but not with a certificate from 18 September 2022.
- Certificates must be presented to our office before course enrollment starts. Otherwise, enrollment is not possible.
- Not all certificates are accepted. Please take note of our list of approved certificates.
- We will accept your current certificate of study including the information that English is one of your fields of study.
- Certificates of study must be presented to our office before course enrollment starts. Otherwise enrollment is not possible.
- Only results from the current and the preceding placement tests are valid. Example: For courses in the WiSe 2023/24, you can enroll with sufficient results of the placement tests from the current course enrollment phase (September 2023) and from the previous course enrollment phase SoSe 2023 (March 2023).
- Placement tests must be finished before course enrollment. Please refer to the information on our placement tests.