Placement tests for Italian, Spanish and French are mandatory unless students have already passed a qualifying test for the corresponding level. Beginners do not need to take a placement test to take a A1 level course.
Students who are able to provide a recognized certificate not older than one year showing that they have attained an appropriate language level for their desired course are not required to take a placement test. Check out our list of recognized certificates.
The tests take place online via Moodle. Information on the test procedure can be found on our Placement Tests page.
As a student of TU Dortmund University, you are automatically registered with Moodle. To register you need your UniAccount and the corresponding password.
You cannot register for the placement tests on Moodle yourself. You will be invited by us at the beginning of the test shift.
egistration for the placement tests in winter semester 2023/24 will be possible from 1 August 2023. Please log into our course platform with your personal account and click on "Einstufungstest" in the upper bar. You can only register for one date per language. If you wish to de-register, please click onto "Abmelden" and register for another date if you wish. In case you want to take part in placement tests for several languages, please do not choose dates at the same time because you will have too little time to complete several tests.
If there is a valid reason why you cannot participate during these two weeks, please hand in the respective evidence (internship contracts, doctor's notes etc.) to our office. You will then be given the opportunity to participate at another date.
The result is automatically displayed to you on Moodle. For example, you will receive feedback that you have knowledge at the A2 level. With such a result, you can register for our B1 courses. So:
- The placement test result indicates your current starting level (e.g. Spanish A2).
- The course title always indicates the target level (e.g. Spanish B1)
The placement test remains valid for two semesters: For the winter semester 2023/24 the current test results are valid as well as the results from the previous summer semester 2023.
The placement tests for WiSe 2023/24 will take place on the following test dates:
Calendar Week 36
- Tue 5 September 2023: 12.00 - 3.00 p.m.
- Wed 6 September 2023: 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m. and 1.00 - 3.00 p.m.
- Thu 7 September 2023: 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m. and 1.00 - 4.00 p.m.
Calendar Week 37
- Mon 11 September 2023: 12.00 - 3.00 p.m.
- Tue 12 September 2023: 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m. and 1.00 - 4.00 p.m.
- Wed 13 September 2023: 12.00 - 3.00 p.m.
- Thu 14 September 2023: 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m.
- Fri 15 September 2023: 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m.
Calendar Week 38
- Mon 18 September 2023: 1.00 - 4.00 p.m.
- Tue 19 September 2023: 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m. and 1.00 - 4.00 p.m.
- Wed 20 September 2023: 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m. and 1.00 - 4.00 p.m.