On this page you will find information about language course registration.
The course program is published semester by semester on our course platform on the following dates:
Summer semester: 15 February
Winter semester: 1 August
Registration for the language courses takes place via the course platform.
1. Students and doctoral students currently enrolled at TU Dortmund University
According to university regulations governing the Department of Foreign Languages (zhb), students enrolled at TU Dortmund University receive priority when it comes to the allocation of limited seats in any given course.
2. Cross-registered students at TU Dortmund University and independent auditors currently enrolled at TU Dortmund University
Cross-registered students at TU Dortmund University (i.e. from other universities - so called "Zweithörende") and those auditing the course (so called "Gasthörende") may only partake if seats are available. While cross-registered students (Zweithörende) may earn credits, those independently auditing a course (Gasthörende) may not (with the exception of Seniorenstudierende). Independent auditors do not need to take our placement tests.
Please note: The registration as guest students takes place via Dezernat Student Services of TU Dortmund University. Guest students must register for a specific study program in a department. Guest-student registration for the sole purpose of signing up for our language courses is not permitted.
3. Other groups
Employees of the TU Dortmund University: language courses for employees of the TU Dortmund University are offered through the Innerbetriebliche Weiterbildung
External groups of persons: External groups of persons are not admitted to the language courses of the Foreign Languages Division.
If you are enrolled as a student or as a doctoral candidate at TU Dortmund University, you have access to our course platform with your university ID. Log in via the SSO access and scroll on the program page to the language course of your choice. You also have the option to jump directly to individual languages using the filter menu. At the language course of your choice, click on the registration button. You will receive an automated registration confirmation.
Provided there are free course places, employees of TU Dortmund University can take part in the language courses offered by the Foreign Languages Division. If you are interested, please register with your university ID via the SSO access and contact us by e-mail for advice and activation of your account.
- Registration for our courses is possible within the designated registration period.
- Before the registration period starts, please check if you meet the registration requirements. If you do not meet the prerequisites (i.e. preceding course, placement test), registration to one or more courses is not possible (in that case you will find the course/s marked in red as well as the registration button/s deactivated).
- Placement tests run on designated test dates.
- Please pay attention to our regulations concerning the allotment of course places.
- Please check out the page on the acquisition of course certificates and carefully read the course descriptions on our course platform.
- Course data (time, location, tutor) are possibly subject to change until the start of the enrollment period (under specific circumstances even beyond that date).
- Semester: 1 April – 30 September 2023
- Lecture period: 3 April – 14 Juli 2023
- Lecture-free days: 7 April 2023, 10 April 2023, 1 May 2023, 18 May 2023, 29 May 2023, 8 June 2023.
The course program is published on our course platform. Please take note of the course descriptions, which can be viewed / downloaded as PDF-files. Course descriptions as well as course dates (time and location) are subject to change until the beginning of the semester.
You can register for our courses within a designated enrollment period. Enrollment for courses in the winter semester 2022/23 is possible on our course platform mainly in the following time period: 28 September 2022 and 29 September 2022 - 7 September 2022 (2.00 p.m.). The courses are released for registration on a staggered basis.
Registration for Ancient Languages will be open from 22 March through 31 March 2023 (12.00 p.m.). Courses will open for registration as follows.
22 March 2023
- from 11:00 a.am
Registration for Romance languages will be open from 21 March through 31 March 2023 (12.00 p.m.). Courses will be released for registration in a staggered manner as follows.
21 March 2023:
- from 9.00 a.m. - French
- from 9.30 a.m. - Italian and Portuguese
- from 10.00 a.m. - Spanish
Registration for English will be open from 21 March through 31 March 2023 (12.00 p.m.). Courses will open for registration as follows.
21 March 2023
- from 11.00 a.m.
Registration for the other modern foreign languages will be open from 22 March through 31 March 2023 (12.00 p.m.). Courses will be released for registration on a staggered basis as follows.
22 March 2023
- from 9.00 a.m. - Arabic, Chinese
- from 9.30 a.m. - Kurdish, Japanese, Dutch
- from 10.00 a.m. - Swedish, Russian, Turkish, Polish
Registration for PAULLA individual language learning counseling will be available beginning 22 March 2023. PAULLA counseling services will be open for registration as follows.
22 March 2023
- from 11.00 a.m.
Registration for the German courses is possible in the period from 28 March to 31 March 2023 (for some courses also in the first lecture week). The courses will be open for registration as follows.
28 März 2023
- from 10.00 a.m.
Registration for German Sign Language is possible as follows.
22 March 2023
- from 11.00 a.m. - DGS I during the semester
- Registration ends on: 31 March 2023, 12.00 p.m.
16 February 2023
- from 9.00 a.m. - DGS I and DGS II compact courses in March 2023
- Registration ends on: 1 March 2023, 4.00 p.m.
- from 9.00 a.m. - DGS I and DGS II compact courses in September 2023
- Registration ends on: t.b.a.
Search & People Search
CalendarTo event list
Location & approach
The campus of TU Dortmund University is located close to interstate junction Dortmund West, where the Sauerlandlinie A 45 (Frankfurt-Dortmund) crosses the Ruhrschnellweg B 1 / A 40. The best interstate exit to take from A 45 is "Dortmund-Eichlinghofen" (closer to Campus Süd), and from B 1 / A 40 "Dortmund-Dorstfeld" (closer to Campus Nord). Signs for the university are located at both exits. Also, there is a new exit before you pass over the B 1-bridge leading into Dortmund.
To get from Campus Nord to Campus Süd by car, there is the connection via Vogelpothsweg/Baroper Straße. We recommend you leave your car on one of the parking lots at Campus Nord and use the H-Bahn (suspended monorail system), which conveniently connects the two campuses.
The "Dortmund Universität" S-Bahn station is located directly on Campus Nord. From there, the S-Bahn line S1 runs every 20 or 30 minutes to Dortmund main station and in the opposite direction to Düsseldorf main station via Bochum, Essen and Duisburg. The university can also be reached by bus lines 445, 447 and 462. Timetable information can be found on the homepage of the Rhine-Ruhr Transport Association, and DSW21 also offer an interactive route network map.
The H-Bahn is one of the hallmarks of TU Dortmund University. There are two stations on Campus Nord. One ("Dortmund Universität S") is directly located at the suburban train stop, which connects the university directly with the city of Dortmund and the rest of the Ruhr Area. Also from this station, there are connections to the "Technologiepark" and (via Campus Süd) Eichlinghofen. The other station is located at the dining hall at Campus Nord and offers a direct connection to Campus Süd every five minutes.
The Airport Express is a fast and convenient means of transport from Dortmund Airport (DTM) to Dortmund Central Station, taking you there in little more than 20 minutes. From Dortmund Central Station, you can continue to the university campus by interurban railway (S-Bahn). A larger range of international flight connections is offered at Düsseldorf Airport (DUS), which is about 60 kilometres away and can be directly reached by S-Bahn from the university station.
The facilities of TU Dortmund University are spread over two campuses, the larger Campus North and the smaller Campus South. Additionally, some areas of the university are located in the adjacent "Technologiepark".Zum Lageplan